Zach glad to see you are back!
Hey thanks man!!!
And thanks to the rest of you guys too!!!!
Before I get into the updates on my Ruck, I thought I'd show how I lowered my stock forks.
I really liked how the stock forks rode so I didnt want to screw that up by removing a spring or the rubber bushing inside. So I decided to change the mounting location on the forks.
Here is how I did it:
Basically, just cut off the mounting points and welded them up higher(with some brackets or gussets for strength). Make sure to disassemble the forks first, so the heat from welding doesnt mess everything up. Also make sure you dont go too low and have your tire bottoming out on your triple tree.
Not only does this move the wheel up, but it moves it forward a little bit too, stretching out the ruck a bit more.
Here is what mine looked like in the early stages.
The only thing I didnt show in the the drawing is, since Im still using drum brakes, I had to weld on one tab, for the drum brakes to slide over. Its on the left fork and if you pull your front wheel off, you'll see the tab that Im talking about.
Ok, onto the newest updates.
I did some searching, trying to find the best deal I could on either a used gy6 scooter or a new engine. The cheapest I found was on Ebay, so I ordered it up. BUT
it turns out, since the motor I got on ebay didnt come with carb, coil, cdi, etc, etc, it may have been cheaper to buy the motor from Rucksters(since theirs include all that stuff). Oh well, live and learn!!
I didnt take a ton of pictures, but I will make sure to document things better from here on out.
I was excited to see this on my door step!
I also ordered a 12x7.5 black steel wheel. The only cheap wheel I could find in the correct 3" back spacing.
Heres a link to what I gothttp://www.ebay.com/itm/260968337002?ss ... 1423.l2649
$50 shipped! WAY cheaper than anything else I could find.
I also ordered a cheap 140/70/12 tire. I believe it was about $40 shipped from Motorcycle superstore.
Here is the tire in comparison to the 7.5" wide wheel
The mounting went flawlessly thanks to the tire stretching pros at Tri-State Tire.
I do have a short axle that I need to throw in too.
I also bought a Powered by Max hub which came powder coated black. Looked great!!!! Sorry, no pics of just the hub.
Here's a pic of the wheel and tire mounted on the motor:
I liked it, but I knew I had to spice up that steel wheel, so I cut out some white vinyl and did the checkboard pattern.
Kris(Kcud) convinced me to just buy the Mojo weld on mount. Its cheap and made well. So I cheated a bit and bought it, instead of making it. I know, I know, I should be ashamed!!! haha
Really it was a matter of saving some time, between my job and kids, I dont have much free time anymore.
Anyway, the mount:
Welded on(which is a very, very simple project, since the mount is made so well!)
You might notice my rear frame is now white. I had a friend with a PWJDM extension that was causing his rear wheel to be very crooked. I figured since Im going to be welding on a new mount anyway, why not give him my rear frame with the DIY extension, which fixes his problem and gives me a fresh frame to work with. So the DIY extension lives on!!!!! haha
His rear frame had a hole in it, where the sock was mounted:
So I filled it and smoothed it out:
I will be making my own shock mount.
Right now the engine is fully mounted up, but I dont have any pics of it. The best one I have is when I was getting everything lined up:
I really like the center shock mounts, but no way am I paying for one!!
So I stared figuring out how to make one work.
Here are a few pics. I think Im going to put the upper shock mount on the center tube of the ruck frame, like so:
I also started making a rough draft for the lower mount, but I'll have to change it a bit to get the angle right:
More to come on this, as Im still working on it.
Lastly, if you look back on my first page, you might remember SRGT Spree, my very first scooter.
Well, the spree is getting the motor from the ruckus, along with the $48 fatty.
This will be more of a long term project, because the ruck has priority, but the motor has already been mounted up.
Here are a few pics:
It will be quite the odd looking thing when its done! haha!